Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Offer from Dubai

Monday night was long and painful. I woke up with a bad stomach ache around 4am and that was it for the night. The morning found me in the bathroom. Felt like zombie for the most of Tuesday. There was a bright point though—a newspaper from Dubai, UAE, contacted me and offered a job. It’s a management position overseeing the online operation for a major English language Arab newspaper. At first I dismissed the thought of leaving Canada, our house and friends, but when Maggie reflected on the past winter and pointed out how much closer we’d be to our families in Europe and Hong Kong, the whole perspective of a job in the dessert changed. Negotiations have started, stay tuned for updates.

The freelance video job I did for a book publishing company is slowly turning into a nightmare. Last night I was burning DVDs for the client until 3am. So if I felt like a zombie on Tuesday, today I fell like a roadkill.

What’s wrong with the planet? The death toll after the cyclone in Myanmar is still raising, now over 250,000. Its rulers are still blocking international aid, which is waiting on Thailand’s border. In the meantime an earthquake ravaged China, killing tens of thousands and counting. Feels like the good ol’ Mother Earth had enough of people-infestation and decided to get rid of some.

Toronto is apparently sinking on the list of the favorite vacation destinations. According to Global TV, tourists find it lame, unclean, uptight and unfriendly. Couldn’t agree more! We could start the improvement by increasing traffic violation fines, curbing the road rage and street racing. It would be too much, though, to ask for smiles. I am not sure Torontonians remember how to smile.

Ahhhhhh, what a relief. After skipping my regular run last night to finish the above mentioned freelance job, I finally did 6 km today and I feel like a brand new person. A very tired brand new person.

No comments:

Post a Comment