Thursday, May 8, 2008

Curry

It’s funny how they build houses these days. We bought a new house recently and standing on our porch I can stretch my arm and touch our neighbor’s house. That’s how close they are. The neighbor’s kitchen vent exhaust blows straight into our entrance. To make the matter spicier, the neighbor is Indian. They cook with a lot of curry. And I mean A LOT. I came out on the porch to pick up the newspaper today and in 5 seconds I was exposed to the “smellements” my sweater soak in the scent of curry. It makes me worried that our wall on that side may turn yellow. Maybe I should try subtly to change the neighbor’s diet? I could inconspicuously leave some recipes, maybe even cook some curry-less dishes and leave them at their door, ring and hide…
Alas, instead of me influencing them, the smell of curry made my better half crave Indian food and we ended up ordering a take out from Tikka Tikka, our local Indian poisoner.

If someone ever stumbles across this text many years from now, the most remarkable event to remember would be the U.S. Democratic Party elections for the presidential candidate. We will remember the first black president-wannabe Barack Obama squaring off against the first female president-wannabe Hillary Clinton. Obama reminds me so much of the black president Wayne Palmer from the TV spy series “24”. The problem is that DB Woodside, the actor who plays president Palmer, is too much of an actor, and too little a president, if you know what I mean. He comes across as overly self-confident, even cocky, and pretty empty. The same impression I get after watching Mr. Obama. Not that I’m any more inclined toward Hillary, but luckily no one cares where my preferences lay—I’m Canadian, after all, and have nothing to do with the slugfest down south. Except the fact that usually the whole world pays when Americans choose the wrong guy (see George W. Bush). Let’s hope they’ll be wiser this time around, for everybody’s sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment