Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Traffic

I don't get the traffic in Toronto! We always leave home at the same time. On Mondays and Tuesdays the ride to work is usually nice and easy. On Wednesdays, however, it's slow and seems like there are more cars on the road. Aren't those same people working 5 days a week? Where are they on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays? Maybe they are sleeping in, and wake up early only in mid-week? Whatever the explanation for this phenomenon is, I hate driving to work on Wednesdays.

A tiny satisfaction today happened during the unexplained slowdown on the road. It turned out to be caused by the police who stopped a BMW. Maggie and I both cheered them and high-fived each other. BMWs are not only a status symbol on the streets of Toronto, they are the asshole-markers. Let me explain: for example, if someone is tailgating you, or cuts you off, or simply drives erratically with no regard for others, chances are in almost 50% of those cases the car is a BMW. The brand has become a license for its owner to do as he/she pleases in traffic. It's almost like telling us "I have a Beemer, therefore I have money, and with money comes power, and with power comes importance, and since I'm more important than you, I'll drive as I please and you get out of my way." That's why every Beemer pulled aside by the cops is a small victory for the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment