Friday, February 27, 2009

Marathon training and coyotes

My marathon training started on Feb 1st. It's been an exhausting month with running distances increasing almost on daily basis. In the meantime I failed to register for Around the Bay race - 30 km in Hamilton on March 29. I waited too long and when I finally made up my mind to join in, the race was fully booked. It would have been a nice time test for the marathon.

The weather is also weird, it was +8 C today, it's going to be -17 tomorrow morning for my run. I am tired of snow and ice, slippery roads, slush and mud. I am tired of wearing ski mask during runs, of gloves, running nose and breath that ices on my eyebrows. I am so ready for Spring.

Occasionally, we see a coyote at night strolling through our sleepy street, hungry and tired of this long winter. Haven't heard of any cat or small dog missing in the neighborhood. In downtown Toronto people were leaving food for coyotes until they started killing pet cats and dogs. Now those same people who fed them want the cops to exterminate the beasts. Hope it won't go that far up here. Our community is next to a conservation area, that's where our coyotes come from. Hopefully they won't get too comfy going through our garbage. All I need is to have a fury predator chasing me around the neighborhood. Undoubtedly, that could improve my running time, but I'm not quite certain it's the preferred training method.

No comments:

Post a Comment