Sunday, June 22, 2008

A pathetic gardening post

Yasuhiro is firmly planted in our front yard. I also realized that gardening is not high on my list of favorite activities. It didn't help that the soil right underneath the grass is clay, littered with the construction debris: bricks, shingles, nails, rope, etc. The builder never really cleaned after the construction, they just piled more soil over all the garbage left around the houses. Later on the grass was planted on top--that was their permanent solution for the trash problem. Anyway, excavation lasted a couple of hours and produced more rubbish than soil. Yasuhiro got proper fertile planting soil for its roots. When the tree was finally placed in its hole, there was a huge pile of clay to get rid of. The problem was--we didn't really take in account so much residue and had no idea what to do with it. For now, we just moved it to the side of the house. Then we'll have to call the garbage collectors.

My back, forever tender after the herniated disk I suffered two years ago, is slightly stiff after all the hauling and digging involved with planting. I am actually amazed that it isn't much worse. All it took last time for the disk to pop out (and press the sciatic nerve, numbing my left leg for over a month) was to bend over the bathroom counter to take out the contact lenses...I stayed bent for the next two months. Hopefully, there won't be a greater price to pay for today's exercise in gardening. I have been working out faithfully, so with a little luck I'll avoid the health disaster this time.

Pathetic, I know, wasting so many words on planting a tree. Still, on a Sunday as boring as this, I'm happy to have at least something to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment