Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Canadian Dream

"It's called 'the American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - comedian George Carlin

The American Dream has badly devaluated in the last few decades. Although, compared to it, the Canadian dream is more in the realm of nightmares. The kind of nightmares from which you can't wake up into a sunny morning. Since yesterday, several of my colleagues complained about work, the way they are treated and the money they make. I was afraid that something was wrong with me, for being constantly disgruntled about my job. I thought that, maybe, I set my expectations and goals too high. But now I know it's not me. It's the company that stinks. Unfortunately, the people who complain are the ones I like the most. Soon, they'll be gone into the greener pasture and I'll stay to rot all alone in the stinker.
Maggie told me this morning on the way to work that I'm inert. I'm just sitting on my behind and waiting for a better job to find me. I hate to admit it, but she's right. I must wake up and become more pro-active in search for something better, or just something else. Maybe it's just a string of bad luck, but last couple of jobs felt like a quicksand: they swallowed me bit by bit. And just when I managed to pull myself out of one, I sunk into another. My former boss thinks I should be grateful to have a nice job in times when people are being laid off en masse. But, why should I compare myself with the less fortunate? Why not with those who prosper? Like those few higher editors and managers in our company, who could learn quite a few things from me if they'd bother to listen, yet they have the power to decide what my future will be. How could I be grateful when I found myself yesterday envying a truck driver on his freedom in his rig, crisscrossing the continent and listening to audio books? It's high time to move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment