Friday, January 1, 2010

The Year That Was

The first blog entry for 2010 - feeling giddy! We survived 2009, mostly unscathed. When I try to think of the most memorable things in the past year, the job insecurity tops the list. It was another nerve-racking year of uncertainty, bankruptcy protection and survival. I still have a job and I still don't know for how long. The company I work for still exist and still struggles with a huge debt to creditors who can shut us down at any point. But, as it is with all pain, this one dulled too, and I learned to take it a day at a time and deal with situation as it develops.

My particular branch of multimedia went from the profession everybody sought to the profession no one really wants. In a year I went from being a mini-celebrity in our newsroom to being a grumpy guy shoved in the corner out of sight and--our managers would hope--out of mind.

To pacify my stormy thoughts I read lots of books. If I had to pick the best one for the year, it would be a very close call between The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson, and I would have to settle for The Gargoyle, but just barely.

Of personal successes, I ran two full marathons and one half marathon, logged 3,155 km for the whole year and qualified for the famed Boston and New York marathons. These two I will run this year. I started a running podcast and blog, which is gaining popularity, slowly but surely.

I blogged a lot, and did some creative writing, but it again turned out to be more me talking about writing than actually doing it. Finally, I enrolled into online Creative Writing class, which is still going on and maybe, just maybe, it will give me confidence to finally finish at least some of the many stories I started and abandoned.

In all, I'm glad we saw the last of 2009 and am looking forward to tackle 2010. Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment