Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Back to work

Second day at work after holidays. Funny, how it all seems less serious and less stressful when you're fresh from vacation. Although, I don't doubt for a second I'll very soon get back to the old grim reality.

My newly grown beard didn't provoke as many comments as I thought it would. My coworkers are either difficult to impress, or they may be used to my little oddities. At least Meg likes my facial hair, for now. And I'm lazy to shave anyway. Not to mention it's warmer to run with the facial fur on.

Yesterday I started training for the Boston marathon, which unfortunately involves waking up at 4:45 AM and going for runs that will get longer and longer. Nights are still pretty cold, average around -10 C. If nothing else, chill wakes me up the moment I step outside. Still, I feel strangely tired. Blaming slippery icy and snowy roads for it!

The latest geekiness of mine is the GPS running application for the iPhone. It's so much more accurate than the Nike+ shoe sensor I used for over two years, that I wonder how could I ever trust the pedometer. All I need to do now is push the button on the iPhone and it tracks my speed, gives me splits per kilometer and maps my run with eery accuracy. It will be a nice thing to have after Boston - the map with my marathon route and time. The more I think about the race, the more excited I am, although it's still 14 long weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment