Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Terror in Mumbai

Series of simultaneous attacks were launched across Mumbai, India at 10:30 p.m. local time. Hostages were taken. Attackers targeted the hotels, restaurants and a train station, asked the hostages to present the passports and especially singled out the British and Americans.

I'm watching CNN. They call it terrorist attacks, although there is no confirmation who's behind it. As always, they had a plethora of analysts and "experts" on air, already discussing connections to Al Qaeda. CNN turned into a disgusting, self-serving, sensationalistic cable station. They seem to have forgotten that their duty is to present the news based on facts. More often than not, CNN develops its own theory based on partial information. After 20 years in journalism myself, I can't stomach such dilettantism.

Leaving CNN with repugnance, I log onto CBC.ca to get my fill of the news, Canadian way. I like their measured, professional and factual tone. Then I make the second mistake of the evening and scroll under the news story to see the readers comments. Either this world is filled with complete imbecils (which I refuse to believe), or only the stupid dare to speak aloud, because they can't judge how stupid they are. There are hate comments, religious and racial slurs and outirght verbal fights among some of those to comment. Am I really so sheltered in my tiny circle of intellectual friends, that I haven't noticed all the idiots populating the world around us? Or, are the idiots just the fastest on the keyboard, while the others take time to think before they write?

No comments:

Post a Comment