Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What a week it has been!

I neglected the blog, I admit--trying not to spend too much time on the computer, with all the training in the last 2 weeks before the half-marathon race. As soon as I'm home from work, I'm off for a jog.

Since the last entry, the U.S. sub-prime mortgage crisis caught up with the rest of the world. Markets kept falling; Bush proposed to inject 700 billion dollars into Wall Street: the U.S. Congress rejected it; markets recorded the greatest loss in history. Then the Congress quickly accepted the bailout plan, but markets kept free-falling. So today the news channels finally used the "r" word they've been avoiding like a plague: recession. Seems that we are in it for at least a year, according to the CBC analyst.

I wonder what it all means for us? We are locked in the mortgage for another year. With a little luck, the financial mess will clear until then and we may even avoid a significant interest hike on renewal. Other than that, I guess there won't be pay-raise any time soon: my employer, apparently, isn't doing well. Maggie and I may need to consider doing some freelancing on the side to help us out. I'm certain it'll all end well.

We have federal elections in Canada on October 14. As usual, there's no one really I'd vote for. Politicians are all the same. Besides, I'm really ticked off by Canadian system where we're supposed to vote for the party and its platform, not for an individual representative. Unfortunately, the conservatives are ahead in polls. I wish them another minority mandate.

No comments:

Post a Comment