Sunday, October 19, 2008

Toronto Half Marathon

I'm quite proud of myself after finishing my first half-marathon race. I was aiming for the time between 1h30min and 1h35min, so I clung to the 1h30pace rabbit (that's the runner hired to run the course in certain time) planing to let him pull me as long as I have wind in my lungs. It turned out that I trained well, had a lot of energy and wind, so the rabbit, whose name was Frank, and I finished ahead of time. My time is 1h27'55". Now, that may not seem much of a difference, but to illustrate the point, it means that we left all the runners running 1h30 about 1/2km behind, and all the runners running my predicted pace of 1h35 were 1.5km behind. The winner ran the course in 1h08min.

The 21.1km route started on the north end of the town, at Mel Lastman Square, and went along Yonge street mostly downhill, through the downtown to Ontario Parliament building on Queen's Park. It was nice, sunny and chilly morning, perfect for running. But, as much as I loved this race, it still left me only half-fulfilled. I'm craving the full marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment