Sunday, June 13, 2010

Shadow Tag

Shadow Tag Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
What a fantastic idea, what a sloppy deliverance.Premise: a wife of a famous Native American painter realizes that her husband reads her diary and uses it to manipulate him by writing things she wants him to read.It's a dysfunctional marriage and she wants out of it, while he wants to keep the family together by all means. Unfortunately, the story lacks a really strong reason why she wants to break out. Both main characters are unlikable and I found it really difficult to cheer for either side. By the end, it all became a sick game with no possible solution.The reason I gave 4 stars, beside the promising, though unfulfilled idea, is the ending. It is so surprising that it changed my, until then mostly negative, impression of the book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment