Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Nike JUST doesn't DO IT

When I started running seriously, first order of business was to get the proper running shoes. I went to Sportchek, the local sports-shoes store and tried on a few pairs. Nike Pegasus somehow felt the best, and I ran my first half marathon in them, and all the following races. Not in the same pair, of course, but I wore the same model, following the runners' wisdom that you don't change the shoes if they fit.

Well, I wanted to be faithful to Nike, but Nike wasn't faithful to me. Each year the Pegasus model changed a little, became less cushioned and more boxy. In the last year and a half I suffered the black toenails on several occasions, which I attributed to my running style, not willing to admit that something may be wrong with the shoes. Finally, after this year's Boston marathon, I lost a toenail on the left big toe, and have another really black. As a result, I can't wear sandals this summer if I don't want to disgust people.

The time had come to admit that my Nike shoes are not what they used to be. With Meg as a moral support, back I went to Sportchek. There we met Mo, the salesperson with extensive knowledge about Asics shoes. He measured our feet, concluded that Meg is a serious pronator and needs the shoes with more support for the arch of her foot. In short, we both left with a pair of new Asics runners each, and we tested them this week. They feel fabulous--so good, in fact, that if my feet could sing, they'd sing the "Ode To Joy" from pure pleasure!

How could I describe it to a non-runner? Say, you drive Hyundai Accent--it's a-OK little car, takes you nicely from point A to point B. True, it's a little boxy, not really comfy, with pretty hard suspension and not much space. Then you bought a Mercedes. All of a sudden you experience a renaissance in your driving experience: the car is spacious, soft, pleasant and comfortable to drive, you just feel you could drive forever. That is how my new Asics shoes feel, compared to old boxy Nikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment