Saturday, July 19, 2008

A breastful day

Toronto Distillery Summerfest is in full swing, the Distillery District erected many stages throughout the cobble stoned pathways and squares and many more or less anonymous bands are trying to capture the visitors' attention. Sleeman beer brewery is the main sponsor, making sure everyone is in good spirit.

An interesting band performed on the main stage in the early afternoon. "Dr. Draw" features the front man on a violin, backed up by a rock band. The violinist was electrifying, playing an opus of classics with the modern beat, Russian folk songs and some unrecognized pieces which could easily be Dr. Draw's own brew. He wasn't exactly Vanessa Mae, but for a Toronto Distillery stage he was a welcome refreshment.

Other than Dr. Draw's performance, today will be remembered by breasts. Some of them came into my field of vision unprovoked and uncalled for, others I glanced from the corner of my eye. A few of the latter instances were the cleavages of the Sleeman's young hostesses selling beer and sandwiches. The organizers must have had special requirements in that regard, because I don't believe so many of the busty young girls happened to work the stands by pure chance.
The other instance is the one I intend to rant about. As Maggie and I sat down with coffee and dessert, a triple-D young mom by the table next to us took her infant baby from the stroller and flung out her oversized breast into poor baby's face. The cafe we were sitting at has tables in the corridor leading to the public washrooms. On a hot day like today, many people were passing by to refresh themselves.
I know that feeding a baby is a natural thing, but shouldn't mothers try to show a touch of modesty in that regard? There were several options a civilized mother could have chosen: to turn her back to the passing crowd; to take her chair closer to the wall and turn away from the crowd; or imagine actually going to the ladies room to feed the baby! None of it occurred to the shameless woman sitting next to us; she faced the busiest part of the passage, exposed to everyone who bothered to look. I made a point of turning away the chair so I wouldn't see this public display, but some of the older and less considerate men passed by several times and stared openly. DDD-mom was unfazed and went on with her business.
When she was done, she moved with the baby and the stroller down the corridor, then sat by another table straight in front of me and did it all again. I admit, I looked. It was a huge, flashy specimen with enormous areola. I felt sorry for the tiny baby boy choking on it. No wonder he fell asleep somewhere mid-way through the lunch. Those heavyweights would knock out a grown up man too.

Don't think I have anything against breasts. On contrary! I like them, just find it really weird to have such an exhibition in such a public place. The Distillery is, after all, a high-end place with lot of expensive boutiques and art galleries. It is also a big tourist attraction, bound to be crowded at all times. In short, it's a place where breasts should be kept under wraps. And cleavages? They get my blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment