Friday, September 3, 2010

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Her Fearful SymmetryHer Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I love Niffenegger’s writing. Her characters do come alive in her stories. But this time her imagination went where I wasn’t able to follow. Maybe the expectations were too high after beloved previous book, The Time Traveler’s Wife, or maybe she just tried for the leap of imagination that was too strange for most to follow.

I can tell by other reviews that I’m not the only one who was left deeply disappointed by Her Fearful Symmetry. I can accept the ghosts playing marginal role in a story, but making a ghost the main character, or one of the main characters, was too much. As much as she made me accept the time-travel in her first book, the author repulsed me from this one with all the ghastly twists. For her writing, and because I really liked compulsive-obsessive Martin and his wife, I gave her two stars. For the idea, and for the ghosts, I’d give her zero.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment