Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mid-life crisis?

According to this article in British Daily Mail (quoting a recent study), I suffer from a serious case of mid-life crisis. How do I know that? Because I run marathons, and I like it! Funny me, I thought I started running to keep in shape and re-gain strength after a bad case of herniated disk. I also thought I am doing races because I like the atmosphere and the challenge. But no--the Daily Mail set me straight. Apparently, I can't afford to buy a convertible sport car, or some other visible sign of mid-life crisis, so I opted for marathon exhaustion and bruised toenails instead. Who knew?

By the way, here's the definition quoted from Wikipedia:
"Midlife crisis is a term coined in 1965 by Elliott Jaques and used in Western societies to describe a period of dramatic self-doubt that is felt by some individuals in the "middle years" or middle age of life, as a result of sensing the passing of their own youth and the imminence of their old age. Sometimes, a crisis can be triggered by transitions experienced in these years, such as extramarital affairs, andropause or menopause, the death of parents or other causes of grief, unemployment or underemployment, realizing that a job or career is hated but not knowing how else to earn an equivalent living, or children leaving home. The result may be a desire to make significant changes in core aspects of day-to-day life or situation, such as in career, work-life balance, marriage, romantic relationships, big-ticket expenditures, or physical appearance."

Hmmmm, is that something telling me it's time to make some changes on the career path?

No comments:

Post a Comment