Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Little moments: a smile

A curious thing happened this evening. I went for my usual 10k run. It rained when I started, but stopped soon after, yet it was wet enough to chase people indoors. Can't complain--I prefer deserted streets and sidewalks, rather than jumping over the dog leashes and around people unwilling to give me some space.

I realize I'm turning into a grouch, always expecting--and finding!-- the worst in everyone. I lost faith in people quite a while ago, exposed to the daily dose of egocentric behavior in all spheres of life: traffic, work, shopping, even on the nights out. The common courtesy is all but extinct, and people constantly invade my personal space, whether it's pushing in front of me in a lineup, trying to get over me at work, or cutting me off in traffic. It all puts me in a miserable mood by the end of the day.

Tonight, however, I felt hope. I was running on the sidewalk when I saw in front of me an old lady bent over her walker. I moved on the road to pass. As I came next to her, she stopped, straightened and her wrinkled face lit up with the broadest smile it was capable of. She waved at me and I couldn't help but smile and wave back. Little moments like this could make the world a better place. I'm smiling even now, when I think of that silver-haired grandma with the warmest smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment