Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Physiotherapy for hurting hamstring

My training for Boston is not going well. Actually, it's not going at all at the moment. On Saturday I went for my 29 km run in freshly fallen wet snow. I managed the full distance, but came back limping, with the right hamstring more painful than ever. On Sunday I tried to go for a short 6 km run and came back home after only half a kilometer. The pain was too much, I wasn't running, I was limping badly. So I booked the appointment with our family doctor who gave me the referral for a physiotherapist, whom I visited on Tuesday. A female therapist diagnosed me with a mild hamstring sprain, treated me with ultrasound and electrotherapy and asked me to try jogging, not running, today. To make sure I won't go too fast, Meg went for a run with me. It was really slow, but felt so good to be moving again. However, I was supposed to do 16k on Monday and 19k today. I'm afraid this week is a write-off, just hoping I could go back to do the serious mileage next week. I'm seriously concerned if I'll be able to finish Boston, let alone chase some good time. Such a shame--I practically spent the whole year training to qualify for Boston, and now that I'm almost there, I can't run.

Another physio checkup tomorrow and I'll hear the verdict how far and how fast I can go next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment