Wednesday, December 23, 2009

More Christmas bitchin'

Every year I complain about the Christmas songs overkill. This year it drove us so far that we stopped listening to our favorite radio station CHFI, because they declared themselves the "Toronto's official Christmas station," and for weeks play nothing but Christmas music.

I have problem with them advertising the station as official Christmas station. As far as I know, OFFICIAL means that someone has to give them the title, and I could swear that Toronto City Council never debated such thing. So, if it's officially not confirmed that they are the official station, than this is false claim, false representation and misleading of the public. Though, I'd forgive them all that if they'd only ease off on terrible re-re-re-renditions of always the same Christmas classics. It's alarming how uncreative the musicians have become, especially this year. But then, I guess there are only a few Christmas songs and there are so many so-called artists these days and each of them needs to record some sort of Christmas song. At the end the innocent listener pays the price.

Okay, after all this bitchin' I admit there's a Christmas song that makes me smile. It goes: "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas and only hippopotamus will do..."

Sadly, one of the mobile phone providers - Telus - is using the song for their Christmas commercials with a squeaky-clean hippo prancing about the pristine white space of the TV screen. It, of course, makes perfect sense, because every Canadian hippopotamus naturally has a need for a mobile phone, so she can call her hippo-mamma in Africa and complain about the snow and Canadian frigid winters.

No comments:

Post a Comment