Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snowed-in from skiing

Sounds ridiculous, I know, but it doesn't make it less true. We spent two full days on Mount St. Louis Moonstone, a 1.5 hrs north from Toronto. The plan was to drive there every day of the week and ski ourselves silly. That worked for the first two days, though we didn't plan the exhaustion. Skiing is a serious business, by the end of the day we are drained, sore and good for nothing save the bed.

Today we woke up to the thick snow carpet where you don't want it: on the roads to the ski slopes. Estimated 20 cm and still falling, snow plows can't clean the roads fast enough, accidents on all the highways around the town, including the ones we're supposed to drive on. We had a quick bedroom council and, counting in the soreness and the total exhaustion of the mind and body, we decided to wait out the snowfall at home. That means the whole day. Maggie is still catching up on her active dreaming (it's over 10 hours of sleep since last night and counting). She had an active dream, woke me up with her screams "I can't, I told you I can't!". I'm guessing she was screaming at me for taking too steep a slope in her dream, but she doesn't remember. In real life, she conquered some nice slopes and has nothing to scream about. Except when I try to wake her up.

Well, I better lean on the snow shovel and dig a hole through the fallen snow, so we can get out of the house tomorrow and continue our ski adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment