Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Dark Knight

Morning was frozen at -18 C, it turned my face purple during the run. As I thawed, my cheeks swelled into quite a grotesque: parts outside the laugh-lines puffed up, turning the laugh lines into deep crevices and my face into a caricature of itself. I thought the mirror was distorted, but it was my skin reacting to the cold. Snow started in the afternoon. We had no desire to go out to the polar conditions, so we rented a movie.

I admit, we fell for Hollywood's tragically deceased star Heath Ledger and the new Batman movie, "The Dark Knight." Ledger recently won the Golden Globe posthumously, for his role of Joker in the movie. There are also speculations that this role made him unstable enough to swallow the wrong dose of the wrong pills. So we thought when someone literally dies because of a movie, it has to be a good one. But, it wasn't. It was a pretty lame Batman. I guess we saw it all and the Batman franchise is running out of ideas. As for Heath, he is like the rest of the cast and the movie in whole--also lame. Jack Nicholson already gave us a Joker that fits the Batman, and gave the Joker a reason to be the psychotic killer he is. Heath, on the other hand, is just psycho, but gives no reason nor explanation. The whole character is bizarre. It would better fit into a "Friday the 13th" than a Batman. I guess Hollywood wisely exploits his death for the promotion of the movie. Maybe I expected too much of a Batman flick. It's quite disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment