Friday, September 9, 2011

Eleventh of September

I remember...

A crisp morning in September with a promise of a gorgeous day. Downtown New York is busy with people bustling on. My pulse quickened with expectation of seeing you.

I remember...

You were right in front of me, your shirt the color of coffee you held. Women don't look good in brown, but you made the drab color shine vividly. Or, was it the sun in your hair, turning it into a blond halo around your face?

I remember...

You saw me looking at you. I couldn't tear away my gaze. You smiled.

The world paused.

Your smile was such a powerful weapon, I feared that military may take you away because of it. I was disarmed and captured, wishing only that you never stop smiling. I wondered if you could hear my heart beating. You made my whole body pulsing with each beat.

I remember...

You crossed the floor, stood in front of me, still smiling. Between us, a take-out tray with four cups you held.

"Meet me for breakfast," you whispered. "Restaurant at the corner. Twenty minutes." Your eyes the color of sky with eternal sunshine in them.

I nodded, speechless.

I remember...

Rock n roll of your heels on the marble floor, rhythm quickening as you dove into the stream of suits and vanished with your liquid cargo into a tall building.

I walked to our restaurant and sat at the window table, waiting, enjoying the spotless blue sky. A plane flew over, throwing a dark shadow over the memory of your smile.

Ten years later, at the same table, I'm still waiting.

You never came.


P.S.
This vignette is a work of fiction, inspired by stories of survivors of 9/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment