Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Farewell, cable TV

USA,California, Los Angeles
No, I’m not predicting the doom of the cable in general, this is personal.

Meg and I recently talked about our cable TV, and we couldn’t remember when was the last time we watched it. It certainly wasn’t this month, nor the previous one for that matter. Which meant that we are paying monthly fee for nothing. May as well throw money through the window. With so many shows being available online, there is no reason for paying for lousy choice riddled with commercials. So, I made the phone call. I went through automated options, then waited 25 minutes for a live representative to come on line. But, I had the ulterior motive: this was the last time I deal with Rogers cable. Finally, we were cable-free. Well, almost. Only when I asked to cancel the service, was I informed that Rogers requires 30-days notice. It could have been squeezed somewhere in the fine print, but I’ve never heard of it. No matter, no matter. I will pay for another month of not-watching cable, to be rid of it forever. It’s a sweet feeling of freedom.

As for Rogers cable, and the likes, all I can think is: those who fail to modernize, will fail. The days when they could bundle whatever they want and force you to pay for it are over, replaced by on-demand, personalized choices. I’m turning to iTunes movie rental, and considering Netflix, though I don’t like monthly subscription, now that I finally freed us from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment